Earlier in April, and with the kind blessing of one of our Yacht owners and the help of his dedicated crew, the SYM team enjoyed an amazing opportunity to link up with French Maritime Authorities. Together with key local training partners, they carried out one of the biggest safety training exercises to have ever taken place. The purpose of the day was togive all stakeholders the very rare opportunity to work together using real life scenarios and some very big toys!
With support from the Cannes lifeboat station (SNSM), Cross Med (Centre Regional Operationnel de Surveillance et de Sauvetage), the Ville d’Antibes, Bluewater Training and Marine Medical, the crew onboard were put through their paces in an industry leading example of how important and beneficial it is to work together.
Several real life drills took place throughout the day such as:
- Man Overboard
- Rescue Boat launching and recovery of a missing person
- Life-raft launching
- Abandon ship
- Simulated fire exercises
- Onboard search and rescue
- Removal of casualty by stretcher
- Treatment and First aid of the casualty
- Transfer of the casualty into a lifeboat
- Simulated loss of power and subsequent towing by a lifeboat
- Evacuation of a dummy on a stretcher from the lifeboat to a naval helicopter
The exercise was the brain child of the yachts Captain, Jean-Maxime Berthet who wanted to ensure his crew were given the best chance possible to carry out extensive safety training in advance of what is set to be a very busy charter season.
Our sincere thanks go to everyone involved who supported this invaluable exercise.